Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Day 2 of a sick kid, lanterns

Well, after Tommy seemed to be improving all day yesterday, he threw up at the babysitter's just as Mike was dropping him off. So, I'm at home again. It's funny though, because he's acting normal. But, you know, the daycare doesn't care for that throwing-up thing.

On a different note, I finished the laterns today:


Here's how I did it (thanks to thatstheSPIRIT)

Gather a few cans. I've used a tin can from some fruit, and a paint-type can.Get them naked and clean. A wire brush works really well for getting off any adhesive junk. (thanks honey!) Fill them with water.
Put them in the freezer.Now, once the cans are frozen (I left them in overnight), you can mark out your pattern, although, I ended up not using the pattern I marked out. I marked it directly on the frost, not on the can. Then, get out your nice big nail and hammer, and start hammering the nail on each dot. If your can doesn't already have a handle, make sure you poke 2 holes at the top of the can, one across from the other!Now, empty out the ice, and put your handle on. I used 2 pieces of twisted wire, and twisted the ends into a spiral.

Put your candle in (carefully!) and you're done!

I've put additional photos in flickr, if you care to take a look!

No comments: