Saturday, July 12, 2008

Makeover

WARNING: This is a LONG post, with few pictures.


I've decided it's time for a makeover. Not like the one the other night. Time for an Etsy shop makeover!

It all started when I was looking for ideas for a craft show I'll be doing in November. My VERY first craft show. One thing lead to another, and I landed on this article on Etsy. I've heard of people quitting their day job, for Etsy, but it just struck home. And, while I hope no one from work is reading this, the idea of being home with my kids, and working in my studio is heaven. Even if it means I work 12 hours a day, at least I'll be home with them and won't have to depend on another person to raise them. And I mean no disrespect to my workplace or my boss(es). My direct boss is absolutely wonderful, and her boss is awesome too. It's all about me and the kids.

I've known for about 6 months, I haven't been spending the kind of time taking care of my shop that I should be. The banner was made by myself, and you can tell. Some of the pictures are ok, but some have a distracting background, some are blurry still, and some have poor lighting levels. The last time I listed and item was in March for heavens sakes! I've got listings that are expired too.

Here's my list of getting things back on track to quitting my day job:
1. Retaking pictures, relisting expired listings, and I'll have a 30% off sale once those 2 things are done!
2. I'm getting a business redesign from Share the Love Designs. She's got a good custom package for $30!
3. I'm having some printing done! I'm going to get some things printed from Promo's in a Snap, including new business cards, stickers for packaging, and bag toppers to make my packaging look more professional.
4. Speaking of packaging, I'm redesinging it. While I always put the items in a bag and box, it'll now be tied in someway- with either ribbon or raffia, and have one of my new stickers on it. Also, while for now I'll still be using up old jewelry boxes from my mom's old business, I'll be getting some just for mine from Nile Corp.
5. I'm going to make a batch of sample work to send to The Sampler.
6. I'm making the committment to attend our monthly guild meeting regularly, starting tomorrow.
7. I'm also making a commitment to post on my blog 5 days a week. Today is the exception, but you'll see new posts M-F, bright and early!
8. I'm going to post 1 new picture on my Flickr at least 5 days a week (same time I update my blog).
9. I'm going to send out 1 new bullitin per week to 2 people in my myspace and/or facebook accounts.
10. I'm going to post a comment on another person's blog at least 5 days a week. Even if it's just to say "great post".
11. By August, I want to be posting 1 new item in my shop every day.

As you can see, I've got a lot to do! I didn't even post a new picture for you! Here's one that'll make your mouth water:
Breakfast was delicious!